health
safety
harm-reduction
knowledge
ban
e-cigarette
vaping
vape

There has been a lot of scepticism when it comes to vaping. Is it legal? Is it worse than cigarettes? Is it toxic? As a result, the industry is now faced with regulations and possible bans that could not only hinder the growth of e-cigarette companies, but also portray vaping to be as toxic and harmful as regular smoking.

Since the the vape industry is very new, it’s hard to identify what the real health risks associated with these sorts of devices are. We can say that it has helped many people conquer or control their smoking habits, but at what cost? In order to understand vaping, we need to get down to the facts, take apart its components, and decipher if any aspects of vaping are toxic or carcinogenic (or has harmful as cigarettes).

Although we know that vaping is not 100% risk-free, the overall side effects of vaping have shown to be significantly less than smoking. But it is yet to be determined whether or we can classify it as a healthier alternative to smoking. We’ll leave that part to the health professionals.

Here’s what we do know:

Current regulations on the sale vaping products

• All user of e-cigarettes must be at least 19 years of age
  • Sale and supply to minors (under 19) is prohibited
  • Sales wherever tobacco sales are banned is prohibited
  • Vaping anywhere smoking is banned is prohibited (vape shops excluded)
  • Vaping in cars with children under 16 is prohibited
  • Vaping within six meters of doors, air intakes and open windows is prohibited

For more information: Vaping Regulations by Province in Canada

Ban of menthol

Menthol lovers likely already know that the government is trying its best to remove all menthol products from market. They suggest that menthol makes smoking more addictive and makes it harder to quit. Thankfully, this ban has only been implemented on actual menthol cigarettes thus far, but the European government is currently working towards extending that ban to e-cigarettes as well.

E-cigarettes vs. cigarettes

Cigarettes

• 4,000 chemicals are present in a cigarette
  • 43 of those chemicals cause cancer
  • 400 of those chemicals are toxic, many of which can be found in household cleaning and extermination products like rat poison, rubber gloves and batteries

E-cigarettes

In comparison, most e-liquid contains 4–5 ingredients

1. PG (propylene glycol)
  2. VG (vegetable glycerine)
  3. Nicotine (amount can vary and is sometimes not included)
  4. Artificial flavouring
  5. Natural flavouring

To date, none of these chemicals have been considered lethal or carcinogenic. PG and VG are FDA approved, and we ingest them, as well as natural and artificial flavourings, everyday through food and drink products, as well in cosmetic products.

Negative side effects of vaping

• Nicotine addiction
  • Misuse/treatment of devices(mostly mechanical mods) can cause explosions
  • The potential of becoming addicted to the industry itself (if the intention was quitting, that might not be a positive thing)
  • Quantity vs. quality of devices and e-liquid
  • Some e-liquid producers may include additives to their e-liquid to enhance flavours

Here are some other great articles with great insight vaping myths and for more fun facts:

Vaping Marijuana
Vape myths debunked

Excellent article and well informative. As a vaper fron only February of this year everything is still relatively new to me. I started with mouth to lung, then direct lung, now I just started dripping. I agree with the point about the addiction to nicotine is different in vaping than it is from addiction of smoking. I can put down the vape for a few hours without getting freaked out. Could not say that about smoking.

We’re glad to hear that you found this article informative, @malvernman! Thanks for reading!