What Are The Side Effects Of Vaping & E-Cigarettes?

health
allergy
side-effects
dry-mouth
symptoms
sore-throat
muscle-pain
aches
cramps
vaping

When you first make the switch to vaping, there are several effects that will take place in your body, both positive and, usually temporarily, negative. Most of the negative symptoms experienced during this period are typically associated with withdrawal from tobacco smoke, and are not due to the e-cigarettes themselves. A list of tobacco withdrawal symptoms can be found here.

Possible Side Effects of Vaping & Ecigs

Dry Mouth, Dry Lips, and Sore Throat

E-liquid, used in e-cigarettes to produce vapor, is a humectant (an agent that attracts moisture), which can dry your mouth and throat, and possibly leave them feeling sore and/or irritated. Increased thirst is also commonly reported by smokers transitioning to vaping. This effect can be combated by increasing daily water consumption, drinking small amounts often over the course of the day, especially when vaping.

Headaches, Nausea or Racing Pulse

Negative effects such as headaches, nausea, or a racing pulse can result from the change in the body’s nicotine levels within a short period of time. If you experience any of these symptoms, it’s recommended to lower your nicotine concentration and consult with your doctor.

Muscle Pain, Cramps and Aches

The vegetable glycerine in e-liquid converts to lactic acid in the body, which can sometimes cause muscle pain, cramps and aches. Most people experiencing this symptom find that drinking more fluids helps to flush the lactic acid from their system, in addition to soothing other effects, such as dry mouth and sore throat. Persistent problems of this nature can indicate an allergy to vegetable glycerin. In this case, medical consultation is highly recommended.

Allergic Reaction to Propylene Glycol

Persistent sore throat and muscle pain may also indicate an allergy to propylene glycol, another ingredient in e-liquid. Allergy symptoms may include night sweats, body rash, diarrhea, and a dry, irritated, or sore throat. If you are experiencing any of these specific symptoms, we recommend you seek the advice of your doctor and switch to a vegetable glycerin (VG) only e-liquid.

*Please note that this list is not based on medical research, but rather on anecdotal evidence. It can be considered non-comprehensive, and symptoms can vary greatly from person to person.

Side effects of vaping

One should find the right pace of vaping based on their needs and the device capability. This helps ensuring you are giving the best possible try.

Ensure you don’t over vape as many tend do do, either just because of their general addictive behavior (like me) or because they are not using the right nicotine level (too high or too low).

With the changing taste, the e-juice flavour itself changes and feels different on the tongue. I had to change my flavour after first few weeks.

I’ve suffered throat irritation after vaping some specific brands, usually with cheaper juices. Not sure if it was due to a specific additive or low quality nicotine but I learned my lesson and stick to known brand, lab tested juices now. No problems since.

Is it possible that a decrease in nicotine can cause an increase in heart-rate? I have found that my resting heart-rate has increased, which i believe may be related to my recent reduction in nicotine. If so, should i be concerned or will this likely improve in time?

@Andy_Walczak

From my personal experience, decreasing nicotine has followed with a decrease in heart rate, but this is over a span of time vs. immediate.

When you’re saying an increase in heart rate, how exactly are you measuring this?

When I quit nicotine before, I noticed that I could actually feel my blood pulsing through my veins for the first week or so, likely because of the absence of nicotine.

It is possible that you are breathing differently which is causing the heart rate change.

In my personal case, my heart rate would go up when i vaped higher nicotine during day time or vape low nicotine in the morning. I could hear it.

For last few months, I have been practicing a lot of deep lower diaphragm breathing. So now when I increase my nicotine intake, my heart rate does not go up as much. or rather i feel more in control.

I just decided to quit smoking and to try some vipers, actually i know really little about this, but i would like to ask you some questions about this, and this one was my first , thank you for the information provided! My friend have used it for a really long time, and started to have serious problems and now he is spending a lot of time searching for diazepam. Now that he quit it he just can’t calm down, and it’s really irritated!

Hey @Shignigho

I can help you out if you’d like!

Can you specify which brand ejuice,and what vg/pg level and nicotine percentage and flavor. it will be big help for starter like us.

There’s been too many to name - best advice I can give is that if it seems like it’s too cheap or tastes a bit off, steer clear. Test anything new before diving in. Stick with lab tested products, and avoid anything that looks like it was made in your neighbor’s bathtub.

Try vaping a 0 nic as a test. VG/PG ratio will definitely affect how the vapor feels in your throat and lungs, but assuming it’s not a quality issue it still shouldn’t be leaving you with ongoing irritation regardless - unless you have an allergy. If vaping a 0 nic with different brands is causing ongoing issue, I’d bring it up with a Dr right away. Allergic reactions are rare but certainly not unheard of.

From there, move up the nic scale slowly - and only buy premixed micro infused e-liquids. Never something done on the spot and just shaken in the bottle. That’s very likely to separate and leave you vaping something way lower or higher than intended.

If you find any % of traditional nicotine causes problems, try the Nic Salt liquids instead. It’s a different form, closer to what’s in a cigarette, with a completely different mouth/throat feel and effect. NOTE: they’re only for low draw devices - no cloud chasing.

Awesome post. Really informative !